So how is everyone else doing it? How are the bloggers, influences, and coaches building their businesses while working their 9 to 5? It's a great question and I'll give you the simple solution in just a second. Some of these individuals that I mentioned a second ago have already built their companies to 6 figure businesses and have quit their corporate gig. Do you want this life? If so you have to learn to PLAN and practice EFFECTIVE TIME MANAGEMENT. When I say "Plan" I don't mean just plan your day, you have to learn how to plan long term which means your month, your quarter, and your year. You see...those influencers who have 100k followers on Instagram don't get up each morning and just throw content together at the last minute. Their content calendar has been planned well in advance.
Now let's talk more about Effective Time Management:
- Nights & Weekends- When you work a 9am to 5pm job, your business will become your 5pm to 9pm as well as your weekends, just as if you had a part time job. Just know that building a business on the side takes planning, time, and consistency. Think about how badly you really want to run your business full time. Let that dream fuel you when you get tired, or you're tempted to catch up on The Real Housewives instead of working on your blog or designing your next digital product.
- Batching is King- Can I just tell you how crazy you will be if you try to come up with new content to post every day? You will be batshit crazy. Take a note from some of the greats like Amy Porterfield, Marie Forleo, & Jasmine Star and batch your content for the month. Some influencers batch 3 months to a year in advance and these are the same rockstars who are making over a million a year in their businesses. It's not that these people are any smarter than you, it's because they take the time to plan and execute early. This gives them time to sit back and strategize new content & marketing methods while others are sitting there scrambling for ideas every day. Let's work smarter not harder.
- Eliminate All Distractions- Do you have that one friend who texts you all day every day about nothing? I do. Put your phone in "do not disturb" mode so that your notifications are silenced while you kill your to-do list. Another strategy that has helped me is using a timer while working. So for example, let's say that I want to write a blog post and I only have a short window to get it done today. I will sit down, open Wordpress, set my iPhone timer for 30 minutes then start writing. Voila! Before you know it, the blog post has been completed before the timer ends and I'm off to conquer the rest of my day. Your tasks will only take as much time as you allow them for completion. Set a timer, cut all the drama, and get it done.
- Plug It In Your Schedule- This is for all of you who stop at simply writing a "Daily To-Do List". I want you to take it one step further and actually take the items from your To-Do List that need to get done today, and plug them into your schedule. Choose your preferred method of scheduling according to what motivates you the most. This could be a paper calendar or an electronic google calendar, but you must schedule it in order to make it happen. I suggest that you only pick 3-5 main taks that need to get done to schedule each day so that you don't get overwhelmed.
- Still Do Your Best & Thrive In Your 9 to 5- Finally, while you are planning and scheduling your success in your business, I want you to PROMISE ME right now that you will STOP thinking of yourself as an employee of your corporation. Instead, I want you to immediately start thinking of your 9 to 5 company as your biggest paying client. Now wouldn't you want to make this client happy and keep your contract?! Wouldn't you show up on time, dress to kill, and give them the results they're paying you for? Just because you have a dream of taking over the world with your own business doesn't mean that you start to slip on the job/contract you already have. Whatever you're not thankful for will disappear from your life. If you're not yet ready for that income to disappear, I want you to show up and show out.
Click here for more productivity tips!